This is one of my all time favorite holiday appetizers. It is very easy to make. You can easily adjust the spice level by changing the type or amount of peppers you use. As written this is a mild recipe.
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 small bell pepper, cut into wedges (use green if using green jalepenos, red if using red)
- 1/2 cup chopped jalepeno peppers
- 1 1/2 cups xes sweetener or gentle sweet, divided
- 3 tsps gelatin
- 2 drops green or red food coloring, optional (if you want the traditional bright color)
- Place vinegar and peppers in a blender; cover and puree. Add 1 cup sweetener; blend well.
- Pour into a saucepan. Stir in the remaining sugar; bring to a boil.
- Strain mixture and return to pan. Whisk in gelatin and add food coloring if desired. Return to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. (Food coloring is completely optional. When using green peppers the mixture will start off a very bright green but will get progressively darker and somewhat brown in color as you cook it. You will need to add the coloring if you want a bright green final product.
- Remove from the heat; skim off any foam. Carefully ladle hot mixture into a pint jar.
- Loosely cover jar and allow jelly to cool before refrigerating. This jelly will thicken more as it sits in the fridge.
- This recipe is usually served with cream cheese on crackers. So, while the jelly is FP, adding the cream cheese will make it an S snack. I highly recommend the crunkers recipe on page 452 in the THM Cookbook! You could also serve this with cream cheese and celery.
Note: When cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Disposable gloves are recommended. Avoid touching your face. I did not follow this advice. 20 minutes after making the jelly I touched my eye. It was not pleasant…
As always, I appreciate it when you choose to shop through my affiliate links. It costs you no extra but provides me with a small compensation that helps me keep adding valuable content to this blog.