A friend showed me a post on Facebook the other day asking for someone to THM-ify an apple fritter recipe. I was pretty excited to try this out. The trick was how to keep the treat from being a crossover. If I fried them and put apples in them they would be at least an S-helper if not a crossover. So my first thought was to make just the fritter dough and use apple extract. This would be perfect… in theory. However, in reality this made the following:
That pile of crumbs is not a fritter…While the dough held its shape out of the oil, it immediately disintegrated upon frying. So I had to re-think things. I had just gotten an new air fryer, had never used it at all, but I thought I would give these a try in it. And it worked! I did 2 versions, mainly because I already had the “S” version made up. However the S version was only going to be S if I fried it. Since this was no longer going to be fried in oil I went ahead and added the apples.
The first batch I made was with the baking blend/oat fiber mixture. This version is FP as long as you stick to a 1/4 of the batch and don’t add any more carbs. This version was a slightly dryer dough and held it’s shape well in the air fryer.
The second batch I made with the oat flour/oat fiber mixture. This version is E. The entire recipe has 50 g net carbs. I would still not eat more than a 1/4 of the recipe at a time. This makes it a great dessert for an E meal. This dough was slightly wetter and spread a bit in the air fryer making a flatter fritter.
You Will Need:
- Oats (for E version)
- THM baking blend (for FP version)
- oat fiber
- xes sweetener or gentle sweet
- mineral salt
- baking powder
- nut milk
- egg whites
- apple extract (optional)
- green apple
You will also need coconut oil spray, parchment paper and, although it is optional, a small cookie scoop like this one makes the job easier.
Air Fryer Apple Fritters ~ THM E or FP
For E Fritters
- 3/4 cup rolled oats ground into flour
- 1/4 cup oat fiber
For FP Fritters
- 1/2 cup THM Baking Blend
- 1/4 cup Oat Fiber
Add the rest of these ingredients to your chosen fritter flour
- 1/4 cup xes sweetener or gentle sweet
- 1/2 teaspoon mineral salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup almond or cashew milk
- 1/3 cup egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon apple extract optional
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 1/2 cup xylitol ground into powder
- 2 pinches mineral salt
- 4 teaspoons almond or cashew milk
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Using a spatula, fold in apple until apples are covered with batter.
- Line the bottom of the air fryer basket with a sheet of parchment paper. Lightly spray with coconut oil spray.
- Using a small scoop, drop batter into mounds on the parchment paper. (My air fryer fit about 9 fritters so I did this in 2 batches.) Lightly spray the tops of the fritters with coconut oil.
- Cook the fritters for 10-12 minutes at 370 degrees.
- In a coffee grinder or Vitamix, powder sweetener and salt. Add milk and mix to make the glaze.
- Remove fritters from air fryer and when cool to touch, dip each side of fritter in glaze and return to a pan or rack to cool.
As always, I appreciate it when you choose to shop through my affiliate links. It costs you no extra but provides me with a small compensation that helps me keep adding valuable content to this blog.