It is Monday, so it is time for another recipe makeover. I love to take favorite recipes and make them THM friendly. One of the biggest hurdles people have to overcome is thinking that healthy eating means never having their favorite foods again. The truth is that you can make a healthy version of almost any meal. And most meals don’t require that much work to re-make!
I had this recipe suggested to me while I was looking for a new recipe to makeover and I knew I wanted to do it right away! I looked delicious and easy to make THM friendly so I whipped them up over the weekend. They are super yummy and easy to make. One word of caution though! The cheesecake filing is stiff, so do not try to use your handy-dandy Pampered Chef Decorating tool like I did. It is not made for this kind of filling and you will really hurt your hands! Use a zip-top bag or a decorating bag like the recipe suggests. Your hands will thank me. 🙂
You Will Need:
- coconut oil
- xes sweetener or gentle sweet
- black strap molasses
- orange extract
- THM baking blend
- oat fiber
- baking powder
- baking soda
- mineral salt
- nut milk or kefir
- lemon juice or vinegar if using nut milk
- cream cheese
- vanilla extract
I always use oat fiber to make my baking blend stretch farther. If you do not have oat fiber you can always sub equal amounts of baking blend unless it is stated otherwise.
Carrot Cheesecake Muffins ~ THM S
- 2/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 3/4 cup xes sweetener or gentlesweet
- 1 tsp molasses
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups baking blend
- 1/2 cup oat fiber
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp mineral salt
- 1/2 cup nut milk or kefir
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice or white vinegar (if using nut milk)
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 tbsp xes sweetener or gentlesweet
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp baking blend
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans for topping
To make muffins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 12 muffin cups with non-stick spray.
- Beat oil, sweetener, molasses and extract till combined. Add eggs and mix again.
- If using nut milk, place the milk into a cup and add the lemon juice or vinegar and set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine all dry ingredients. Stir half of the dry ingredients into the egg mixture.
- Add nut milk or kefir and mix again.
- Add the last of the dry ingredients and mix again.
- Stir in shredded carrots.
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups, making a well in the center of each, and set aside.
To make cheesecake filling
- Mix together all cheesecake ingredients until well blended and smooth.
- Place mixture into a zip-top bag or piping bag. Snip off corner of bag and squeeze the cheesecake mixture down into the middle of each muffin. (It will stick out the top a bit.) Do NOT use the type of decorator that I have shown here. The mixture is too thick.
- I ended up just spooning the filling into the center because it was too hard.
- Sprinkle the chopped pecan onto the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 16 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan for 3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Do you have a favorite recipe you would like me to THM’ify? Comment below and I will see what I can do!
As always, I appreciate it when you choose to shop through my affiliate links. It costs you no extra but provides me with a small compensation that helps me keep adding valuable content to this blog.
Have you ever considered getting a coach to help you on your journey but you aren’t sure what a coach could do for you? Contact me for a free consultation. I can explain to you how I would help you with no strings attached.