A friend showed me a post on Facebook the other day asking for someone to THM-ify an apple fritter recipe. I was pretty excited to try this out. The trick was how to keep the treat from being a crossover. If I fried them and put apples in them they would be at least an S-helper if not a crossover. So my first thought was to make just the fritter dough and use apple extract. This would be perfect… in theory. However, in reality this made the following:
That pile of crumbs is not a fritter…While the dough held its shape out of the oil, it immediately disintegrated upon frying. So I had to re-think things. I had just gotten an new air fryer, had never used it at all, but I thought I would give these a try in it. And it worked! I did 2 versions, mainly because I already had the “S” version made up. However the S version was only going to be S if I fried it. Since this was no longer going to be fried in oil I went ahead and added the apples.
This is the air fryer I purchased:
The first batch I made was with the baking blend/oat fiber mixture. This version is FP as long as you stick to a 1/4 of the batch and don’t add any more carbs. This version was a slightly dryer dough and held it’s shape well in the air fryer.
The second batch I made with the oat flour/oat fiber mixture. This version is E. The entire recipe has 50 g net carbs. I would still not eat more than a 1/4 of the recipe at a time. This makes it a great dessert for an E meal. This dough was slightly wetter and spread a bit in the air fryer making a flatter fritter.
You Will Need:
- Oats (for E version)
- THM baking blend (for FP version)
- oat fiber
- xes sweetener or gentle sweet
- mineral salt
- baking powder
- nut milk
- egg whites
- apple extract (optional)
- green apple
I always use oat fiber to make my baking blend stretch farther. If you do not have oat fiber you can always sub equal amounts of baking blend unless it is stated otherwise.
You will also need coconut oil spray, parchment paper and, although it is optional, a small cookie scoop like this one makes the job easier.
Air Fryer Apple Fritters ~ THM E or FP
For E Fritters
- 3/4 cup rolled oats ground into flour
- 1/4 cup oat fiber
For FP Fritters
- 1/2 cup THM Baking Blend
- 1/4 cup Oat Fiber
Add the rest of these ingredients to your chosen fritter flour
- 1/4 cup xes sweetener or gentle sweet
- 1/2 teaspoon mineral salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup almond or cashew milk
- 1/3 cup egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon apple extract optional
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 1/2 cup xylitol ground into powder
- 2 pinches mineral salt
- 4 teaspoons almond or cashew milk
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Using a spatula, fold in apple until apples are covered with batter.
- Line the bottom of the air fryer basket with a sheet of parchment paper. Lightly spray with coconut oil spray.
- Using a small scoop, drop batter into mounds on the parchment paper. (My air fryer fit about 9 fritters so I did this in 2 batches.) Lightly spray the tops of the fritters with coconut oil.
- Cook the fritters for 10-12 minutes at 370 degrees.
- In a coffee grinder or Vitamix, powder sweetener and salt. Add milk and mix to make the glaze.
- Remove fritters from air fryer and when cool to touch, dip each side of fritter in glaze and return to a pan or rack to cool.
As always, I appreciate it when you choose to shop through my affiliate links. It costs you no extra but provides me with a small compensation that helps me keep adding valuable content to this blog.
Have you ever considered getting a coach to help you on your journey but you aren’t sure what a coach could do for you? Contact me for a free consultation. I can explain to you how I would help you with no strings attached.