It is Monday, so it is time for another recipe makeover. I love to take favorite recipes and make them THM friendly. One of the biggest hurdles people have to overcome is thinking that healthy eating means never having their favorite foods again. The truth is that you can make a healthy version of almost any meal. And most meals don’t require that much work to re-make!
This is a creamy, cheesy, comforting casserole that the whole family will love! My husband’s exact words were, “You can be sure to make this one often.” That makes me happy!
You Will Need:
- The ingredients for Wonder Wraps (Trim Healthy Table page 251) or low carb tortillas. Please note, if you choose low carb tortillas you will need to stick to 1/12 of this recipe.
- cooked chicken
- sour cream
- greek yogurt
- salsa verde
- ground cumin
- shredded mexican style cheese
King Ranch Chicken Casserole ~ THM S
- 5 cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken use leftovers or a rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 16 ounces jarred salsa verde mild or hot
- 10 oz can tomatoes and green chiles (rotel), drained
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 cups shredded mexican style cheese
- 12 wonder wraps Recipe in THT p.251
- Make the wonder wraps. The recipe can be found in Trim Healthy Table page 251 or in the Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook page 204. The recipes are slightly different but either will work.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place a skillet over medium heat and add the butter, onions, and garlic. Sauté for 3-5 minutes to soften.
- In a large bowl mix the sautéed onions and garlic, chopped chicken, sour cream, salsa verde, tomatoes and chiles, and cumin.
- Tear the wonder wraps into rough pieces. Spoon one-quarter of the chicken filling in the bottom of a greased 9×13 baking dish. Top with 1 cup shredded cheese. Then spread a single layer of torn tortillas over the top. Repeat layering the chicken filling, cheese, and tortillas three layers high, using up all the tortillas. Spread the last one-quarter of chicken filling and 1 cup of cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden and bubbly. Wait at least 5 minutes before cutting.
Do you have a favorite recipe you would like me to THM’ify? Comment below and I will see what I can do!
As always, I appreciate it when you choose to shop through my affiliate links. It costs you no extra but provides me with a small compensation that helps me keep adding valuable content to this blog.
Have you ever considered getting a coach to help you on your journey but you aren’t sure what a coach could do for you? Contact me for a free consultation. I can explain to you how I would help you with no strings attached.