It is Monday, so it is time for another recipe makeover. I love to take favorite recipes and make them THM friendly. One of the biggest hurdles people have to overcome is thinking that healthy eating means never having their favorite foods again. The truth is that you can make a healthy version of almost any meal. And most meals don’t require that much work to re-make!
Today’s recipe is a delicious and comforting soup that is chock full of veggies. It is creamy, yet low in fat. A perfect satisfying THM E-meal! You have a couple options when making this recipe. You can use pre-cooked chicken if you want. My chicken was still slightly frozen when I started so I chose to chop it up and add it to the soup as the recipe says to. You could choose to cook the chicken breasts whole and then chop them and add them cooked.
Also, you can choose to add more or less veggies. I like a hearty soup, so I added the larger amount. I used a very classic soup combo, but you could add any veggies that you like!
Finally, you could make this soup even creamier by blending part of it. I like the texture of the soup as is, but if you have family members who will not “chew” their veggies, you can blend a lot of it. Using either an immersion blender or a regular blender you can puree any or all of the cauliflower rice, celery, mushrooms and onions with the chicken broth. This is a hearty soup, almost stew like. If you prefer a thinner soup you will want to add more broth or water. My son-in-law declared it perfect, saying he didn’t have to add crackers because it was the perfect consistency. I hope you will also enjoy this comforting soup!
You Will Need
- oat fiber
- dried thyme
- mineral salt
- nutritional yeast
- chicken broth
- nut milk
- riced cauliflower
- brown rice
- chicken breasts
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Soup ~ THM E
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 3 – 5 carrots sliced into 1/4″ rounds
- 2 – 4 stalks celery chopped
- 1/4 c. oat fiber
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 1/4 tsp. mineral salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast or THM bullion
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 1 c. almond or cashew milk
- 1 bag frozen riced cauliflower
- 1 c. brown rice
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt butter. Add onion and cook till it begins to soften.
- Add mushroom, carrots, and celery. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook until no longer pink, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Push veggies and meat to the side of the pan and add oat fiber. Stir the oat fiber around to toast it up a bit for about a minute. Then stir it together with the veggies and meat.
- Add garlic, thyme, and stir until fragrant, 1 minute. Add nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken broth and nut milk to the pot.
- Add riced cauliflower and brown rice and bring to boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer and cook until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning and serve.
Do you have a favorite recipe you would like me to THM’ify? Comment below and I will see what I can do!
As always, I appreciate it when you choose to shop through my affiliate links. It costs you no extra but provides me with a small compensation that helps me keep adding valuable content to this blog.