Caramel makes everything better. At least that is my humble opinion! And a good caramel sauce is something you are going to want to have in your arsenal, especially with the holidays coming up. This sauce is great over ice cream, in coffee, off the spoon! You will also find it is delicious over many of the desserts that will be posted here over the next few weeks. Be sure you make this recipe!
Caramel Sauce ~ THM S
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup xes sweetener or gentle sweet (you cannot substitute sweet blend here. You have to have the xylitol for it to caramelize)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp glucomannan
1/4 tsp mineral salt
1/4 tsp caramel extract (optional)
Extra 1/2 tsp mineral salt if you want a salted caramel sauce
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine butter and gentle sweet and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the heavy cream. (It will bubble up.)
- Sprinkle in glucomannan while whisking to prevent clumping. Add salt.
- Put the saucepan back over medium heat and cook for 2-3 more minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat. Add extract if using and extra salt if making salted caramel. The sauce will be thin at this point but it will thicken as it cools.
This recipe makes 1 cup of sauce.