I love green bean casserole and to me it screams holiday. I mean, I know you can have it year round, but I tend to save this for special occasions. We have green beans a few times a week, but this is usually saved for holidays.
Most green bean casserole recipes call for cream of mushroom soup which is full of fillers and carbs that we don’t want to add to our recipe, so this recipe starts by making the cream of mushroom sauce for the casserole. If you feel like this step is just too much you can technically just put ALL of these ingredients in the slow cooker and walk away. However, I highly recommend taking the time to complete the stovetop steps. Sauteing the mushrooms and onions really adds a depth of flavor to this dish.
Green Bean Casserole ~ THM S
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced or diced depending on preference
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and finely diced or thinly sliced depending on preference
- 1 tsp soy sauce or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 1 tsp mineral salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 TBSP Nutritional Yeast or THM Bouillon
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 ½ inch pieces (canned or frozen green beans will also work in this recipe if you prefer